COOKIES: This website uses cookies to collect anonymous web usage statistics and performance improvement and customisation of the user´s browsing experience. Ok More info
A+ A-
  1. Visit Benidorm,
  2. Plan your trip,
  3. Digital Nomads,
  4. Administrative procedures
come back

Administrative procedures

If you are planning to move to Benidorm here you can find all the info that you need.


Citizens of an EU Member State or of a country within the Agreement of the European Economic Area, have the right to live in Spain for more than three months, provided they meet one of the following requirements:

  • Be an employed worker in Spain
  • Be a self-employed worker in Spain
  • Have enough resources not to become a burden to the Spanish welfare system while in Spain (set at 5,108.60 € for a single, EU citizen).


If meeting at least one of these requirements, a valid health insurance (private or public) issued in Spain or in another EU country should be provided.


The next step it to apply for an foreigners identity card (NIE) within a month-time.



Non-European citizens willing to live and/or be self-employed in Spain will need a startup visa or a resident permit to carry out a business activity. The Spanish embassy or consulate in the country of origin or residence will analyze the business plan by a case by case approach.

There are two main options, among others:

  • Residency Visa for Entrepreneurs and Business Activity (REM): for the rest of the cases.
  • Residence Visa for Acquisition of Real Estate (RIV): this figure apply when a real estate (house, villa, flat), for at least 500.000 € is bought.


After obtaining a visa, the next step it to apply for an foreigners identity card (NIE) within a month-time.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation plans,provides further information


How to get your NIE?

In order to apply for the NIE, it is required to:

  • Rent a house and show the renting contract.
  • Obtain the census certificate from the home Town Council.
  • Open a bank account with funds enough to meet Spanish requirements.
  • Obtain a private insurance with similar coverage to the Spanish National Health Service.
  • Go to the National Police Station or the Immigration Office.